Andrew is an experienced trial and appellate advocate. He has a broad practice encompassing most areas of commercial dispute. As well as general contract and tort claims, he has particular interests in the areas of trust litigation, company law, insolvency, construction law, professional liability and land law.
A selection of some of Andrew's more significant instructions can be seen in his Case History.
Andrew has lectured law at both the University of Otago and the University of Auckland (see Professional Activities). He also regularly presents seminars for the New Zealand Law Society and ADLSi (see Publications and Seminars). He is a regular contributor to academic and trade journals (see Publications and Seminars). He is the New Zealand Bar Association’s representative on the Rules Committee, the body that sets the rules of procedure for all New Zealand courts.
- Kawarau Village Holdings Ltd v Sun  1 NZLR 378 (CA, SC) - enforceability of sale and purchase agreements for stage 1 of the Hilton Hotel development in Queenstown.
- Custom Street Hotel Ltd v Plus Construction Ltd (arbitration, HC, CA) - termination of the construction contract relating to the construction of the Sofitel Hotel in Auckland.
- Fish Man Ltd (in liq) v Hadfield  2 NZLR 428 (CA) - principles of equitable tracing and the rights of creditor’s to property disclaimed by the Official Assignee.
- Activedocs Ltd v Cadre Investments Ltd (2017) 11 NZCLC 98-05 (CA) - shareholder/company dispute over the terms of a preference share issue.
- Probus South Pacific Inc v Probus NZ Inc (2015) 114 IPR 630 – use of the Probus name by the Probus Clubs of New Zealand.
- Yandina Investments Ltd v ANZ National Bank Ltd (2014) 26 NZTC 21-064 (HC, CA, SC) –dispute over the terms of the lease of a Boeing 747.
- Telco 1 v Telco 2 - private arbitration over the terms of sale of telecommunications company).
- BNZ Investments Ltd v CIR (2009) 24 NZTC 23,582 – allegations of tax avoidance on cross-border structured finance transactions.
- Waller & Anor v Davies & Ors  2 NZLR 508 (CA, SC) - Land Transfer Act fraud and imputation of knowledge.
- Accent Management Ltd & Ors v CIR (2005) 22 NZTC 19,027 – allegations of tax avoidance in forestry investment (the Trinity tax “scheme”).
- Various substantial trust disputes, including Mitchell v Griffiths (removal of trustees), Re W A Stephenson Memorial Trust (variation of the Stephenson family trusts), Peacock v Nelson (removal of trustees), Calderwood v Calderwood (challenge to establishment of trusts).
- Various substantive construction disputes, including Perpetual Trust Ltd v Mainzeal Property and Construction Ltd (construction of the Botany Town Centre), Body Corporate no 338356 v Endean (construction of the Endean building), Takanini Central Residential Ltd v Terra Group NZ Ltd (dispute between Engineer and owner).
- Various claims under the Public Works Act, including Treasury Properties Ltd v AG (offer back of land under s 40), Jaafar Holdings Ltd v Auckland Council (claim for compensation under s 60).
Other significant recent instructions
- Acting for trading bank in the “bank fees” litigation.
- Acting for major charitable institution in resolution of competing claims relating to substantive bequest.
- Acting for departing (and remaining) partners in various dissolutions of law firms.
- Acting for trading bank in the resolution of a claim based on misleading conduct in derivatives trading.